Make Your Home Green on a Budget
Being environmentally friendly is a major topic in today’s world. The common misconception of being green is that it will cost more when actually in the long run, you could save bundles! Thinking of going green? Follow these tips for a budget-friendly makeover that is safe for the environment:
1. Replace light bulbs. Get rid of old, energy-sucking light bulbs and replace them with new models. One energy efficient light bulb is said to save the same amount of energy as a car uses driving coast to coast.
2. Install low-flow faucets. Avoid the overuse of water by installing low-flow faucets, showerheads, and even toilets.
3. Insulation is key. To save on energy bills, make sure your home is properly insulated. Pay close attention to attics and basements to ensure you keep your house as cool or as warm as possible during the peaks of seasons.
4. Seal drafts. Focus on doorways and windows. Keeping in the warm or cool air also lowers energy bills.
5. Use natural lighting. Reduce your use of energy all together by taking advantage of natural lighting. Windows and skylights are a great way to open up your home and save energy.
6. Implement a recycle system. Just because you are at home doesn’t mean you can’t be environmentally conscious when it comes to disposing of items. Create a system that works for your household and stick to it. Be sure to properly dispose of items using the garbage, recycling, and compost bins appropriately. You will be surprised at how many items can be put to use again in the future.
7. High-efficiency appliances. If you are up for a splurge, invest in high-efficiency appliances. Combining energy efficiency and water saving technology, these appliances reduce the footprint they leave in the environment.