Social Media Dos and Don'ts
Ever find that social media is just too overwhelming? Do the people using these mediums to communicate seem to speak their own language? Don’t let doubt or confusion prevent you from joining in on the conversations going on in your community. Follow this quick guide on what to do and not do when using social media profiles.
· Use common courtesy and be respectful of others.
· Post relevant content that correlates with the industry and provides further proof that you should be considered a leading resource and valuable asset.
· Make sure your profile has accurate information.
· Be mindful that everything posted is public, even if you have stringent privacy settings.
· Post or transmit material you do not have the right to post or transmit under law. This includes restrictions from copyright, trade secrets, securities, or due to your personal contractual or fiduciary relationships.
· Post someone else's copyrighted work unless you have permission.
· Share any company material including logos, fliers or brochures without proper approval.
Above all else, use common sense. Is your post defamatory, offensive, or possibly interpreted in a negative way? Consider not publishing it. Using social media is like performing at a job. You want to make sure you are making a good impression and conveying your thoughts and opinions in a professional manner. Social media is about engaging in a conversation on a shared topic of interest. Follow these Dos and Don’ts when using social media to elevate yourself a knowledge expert in your field.