8 Steps to Make Moving Easier
Congratulations! You’ve just purchased your new home and are getting ready to move in. Before you do, take these eight steps to help ensure everything goes as smoothly as possible.
1. Pack smart: If you’ll be doing your own packing and moving, make sure the boxes aren’t too heavy to carry. Use a lot of packing material for dishes and other breakable items. And be sure to label each box clearly with what’s inside and which room in your new home that it belongs to.
2. Forward your mail: You’ll want to be sure your mail is delivered to your new address on day one. So contact the US Postal Service as far in advance as possible and let them know your new address.
3. Contact the utility companies: Hook up your electricity, gas and water before you move in.
4. Call the phone company: Hook up your phone line(s) and get your new phone number.
5. Get in touch with your cable or satellite TV provider: While it may only need a few days of advance notice that you’re moving, why take a chance? Contact them as quickly as you can – even a few weeks in advance, if possible.
6. Paint before you move in: It’s much easier to paint an empty room than one that’s filled with all of your furniture. So whether you want to entirely repaint, or just do some touch-up work, it’ll be easier on you if you do it before you start moving in.
7. Make sure your furniture fits: What can be more frustrating than carrying a heavy dresser up a flight of stairs, only to discover that it won’t fit through the bedroom door? Avoid the headache by measuring your furniture and doorframes first.
8. Tell everyone where you’ve moved: Make sure everyone who’s important to you knows your new address and phone. That includes not only your family and friends, but also your employer, business colleagues and creditors. If you have school-age children, be sure to contact the school as well.
Follow these eight steps and your move will be less stressful and more efficient.