What You Can and Cannot Live Without in Your First Home
So you’re thinking about buying your first home. You’ve browsed websites, checked out pictures, and starting compiling a list of which features you would like in your new home. Before you grab that long list of features you would like, take a look at what you probably can and cannot live without in your first home.
Features You Can Live Without
1. Pool – While a pool might be a draw during the hot summer months, the maintenance alone might not be worth the additional cost for purchasing the home.
2. High-end kitchen – Magazines and online articles have a habit of highlighting beautifully designed kitchens. But those granite countertops, high-end appliances, imported tiles, and expensive decorations are not necessary for your first home.
3. Extra rooms – Be realistic on how much space you need. The higher the square footage, generally the higher the price. Extra rooms will increase your property taxes as well as the maintenance.
Features You Cannot Live Without
1. Working appliances – The cost of replacing appliances can add up quickly. Make this one of the features you cannot live without if you are trying to keep costs to a minimum.
2. Proper insulation – While you don’t necessarily need upgraded double-paned windows, get the home inspected to ensure insulation is up to standard throughout the home to help save on your energy bills and prevent further issues.
3. Appropriate storage – Make sure you’re not living with boxes covering every inch of space. Having the appropriate amount of storage is important to make your home look well kept and livable.
It can be hard to differentiate in the excitement of buying a new home the wants versus the needs. Use this guide as a helpful tool when searching for the perfect home.