Spring Clean Your Social Media Profiles
Spring is just around the corner. Before you take on cleaning your entire house, consider starting smaller and cleaning up your social media profiles. Over time, we accumulate quite a bit on our profiles and it can end up looking a bit messy. Take these steps to shake off the dust and establish the squeaky clean image your profile (and you) deserves.
1. Connections – Do you know them? Do you find their posts useful? Is it someone you would rather not be associated with? Scrolling through your connections and deleting people will immediately get rid of posts on your timeline and allow you to focus on following people who can provide pertinent and relevant information to you.
2. Pictures/Albums – Freshen up your image but deleting photos and/or albums of pictures that do not depict you in a professional light.
3. Likes – Liking pages is a great way to show your personality. But when your list of likes shows mainly unprofessional or inappropriate-for-the-office type of topics, you may want to unlike these pages to help clean up your image.
4. Job Description – Keeping your LinkedIn profile updated is key. Use LinkedIn’s tips to help you create a rock-star profile that will get you noticed.
5. About Section – Has your contact information changed? Or would you like to share more or less than what is currently posted? Update this section to provide necessary information to your connections.
6. Passwords – While you are putting the final touches on your revamped profile, go ahead and change your password. Most people keep passwords for far longer than they should. To prevent the risk of being hacked, change your password to something unique and different on EACH social media platform.
While it may seem tedious, especially if you have never gone through a social media profile cleanse before, in the end you will greatly appreciate the lemony-freshness of your newly updated profile. Taking the time to clean up can significantly impact your business and how people view you as a professional.